Monday, September 14, 2020

The lectures continue

Tuesday (September 14, 1976)

Dear Robin

I'm sorry I forgot to send your savings book.

I went to Nora's last Wednesday and stayed until Saturday morning. I really had a good time and caught some fish - one real nice catfish. Bobby ate it and said it was the best he ever had.

I wasn't feeling very well when I left there Saturday and by the time I got home I was real sick. My stomach was upset and I had a lot of fever. It didn't last long. I felt much better by Monday. Lisa, Callie and Karly all were sick yesterday - they have flu so I brought Grant home with me for the afternoon.

Night before last I had another one of my nightmares. Since you were not here to wake me I don't know how much yelling I did but it was some weird dream.

I'm sure you had a good time at the ball game especially since Tech won.

I haven't felt like getting that telephone paper signed yet. I did want to know though if I am signing for both of you. Also I must make a little mother talk and say that it is very easy to run up a big bill when you are fooling around with Ma Bell. Direct dialing just seems to make you forget that every second you talk cost money.

I finished the birds I was working on so I'm going to have to get me something else. There is a kit with two pictures in that same kind of work that I want to get next. Also I have an idea I'm working on to use my old calendars on my Christmas tree skirt.

I haven't been watching the shows very much so I don't know what's happening. I did see a little of General Hospital yesterday and Tom Baldwin is alive in prison in Mexico. He has a lot of hair and beard but it's not the same Tom. That old story of someone being dead and brought back is worn out.

It's time to see what I can find to eat for lunch.

Love,

Mother

Back in the day before cell phones, you had a land-line telephone in your dorm room (some dorms had one phone for a group of rooms!) and you shared it with your roommate. You couldn't make long-distance calls without permission from your parents - long distance calling was expensive and they wanted to know that someone was going to foot the bill! I have never been a big telephoner - I'm not sure what she was worried about. My roommate rarely made long distance calls. 

                                                                                    (clickamericana.com)

"Ma Bell," otherwise known as the phone company, had an ad campaign in the late 1970s and 1980s with the tagline, "Reach out and touch someone." Not exactly appropriate for the pandemic!

General Hospital was and still is an ABC soap opera. Here's some more information on Tom Baldwin in case you don't remember back to 1976! I haven't watched General Hospital in years and years. Probably not since my daughter was a toddler (she's 28 now) and napped in the afternoons. I tried to watch one day recently - just couldn't get into it.


No comments: