Sunday, September 27, 2020

My mother the social butterfly

 Monday (September 27, 1976)

Dear Robin

I'm waiting for Nora and Lolly - they are coming in today. No, Lolly is not doing much talking yet. If she wants something and you make her she will say what it is but she doesn't volunteer very much.

I had a good time Saturday. Last week Gary called and asked me to go to San Marcos with them. Angelo State was playing there and Julie was there with the band. We got there about 3:30 and they came a little after 4:00. We got to visit with Julie until 5:30. Then we got a hamburger and went to the stadium about 6:30. The game was at 7:30 but we enjoyed people watching and there were some weird ones to watch. It was a good game and Angelo won. The band show at halftime was very good. Julie is doing fine at school I guess - she seems to be very busy and not homesick. She is coming home next weekend for Cotulla's homecoming. Dilley beat Cotulla last Friday 7 to 6. Heights didn't have a game.

Gary and Donna stayed here for what was left of the night. After the game we got Julie and went out to eat then took her back to the motel and talked a while and we didn't get back here until 2:00. They went home right after breakfast.

Lisa brought me some flowers, a box of candy and a Christmas ornament kit from Houston. She had a wonderful time there and I got along fine with the kids. You know I said I wasn't going to make any ornaments this year but I saw a kit in a magazine that I just had to have - it's Goldilocks and the three bears. I had told Lisa about it so that's the one she brought me.

I've decided that I can't stand Carter so I'm definitely going to vote for Ford. I'm not crazy about him. Lisa says she has an absentee ballot for you if you don't have one.

I'm glad you got your package. I hope to get started on your jumper this week. I haven't done any sewing since you have been gone.

Love

Mother

First Federal sent the book back here so next time why don't you just send the check here and I will take it over. Make it out to First Federal and I will deposit it. If you don't want to do that I'll send the book back to you.


I think this is the Goldilocks kit she got. Over the years Mom made a ton of these kind of ornaments. They were the only ornaments she had on her Christmas tree. She always said she didn't like Christmas, but she always made more ornaments every year and she always had the whole family over for Christmas dinner - always. After she died in 1983 my sisters and I divided up the ornaments. I'm sure I wanted these - but there were so many I wanted. And luckily enough, I got the angel for the top of the three which I was excited about.

I got a kit last year and tried to make my own set of ornaments - they were trucks and cars with presents on top and in the back of the truck. I quit after the first one. Just too fiddly for me and I knew I wasn't working at her standard. I'll stick to quilting, thank you.

This letter makes me a little melancholy. She seems to be having such a good time without me! I doubt my social life lived up to hers at that moment!

No comments: