Tuesday, September 22, 2020

She's a winner!



Wednesday (September 22, 1976)

Dear Robin,

You will never guess what happened to me yesterday. I think I told you about Lisa and I and her friend MJ going to Helotes. There was a little craft shop next to the barbecue place where we had lunch and while we were looking around the lady asked us to sign up for a drawing they were going to have. She said they hadn't even decided what they were going to give away. I had forgotten all about it but yesterday she called and said I had won a wood piece. She described it as having daisies and a bird on it. All the things they have are supposed to be hand made. Lisa wanted to go with me to get it and she can't go until after three today. I'm real anxious to see just what I won.

But that's not all. I had two Handy Andy race tickets and won $10 on one of them. Horse no. 5 named Split Morse won the third race so I walked up to Handy Andy this morning and collected my $10. How about that. Winning something twice in the same day.

Tomorrow night I'm going to stay over at Lisa's. Tony has to go to a meeting in Houston and she is going along. They will be back Friday. I'm going to stay over there so the kids can go to school.

As soon as I get my prize I'll write and tell you all about it.

Love,

Mother

I remember that "wood piece." It was tiny - not sure it was worth driving out to Helotes to pick it up! It was a little log of wood with a tiny bird and some dried moss and flowers stuck on.

But the race win - now that's exciting! How it worked was, you got a "race ticket" every time you visited the grocery store. At the end of the week you watched the "Let's go to the Races" show on TV. If one of the horses listed on your ticket won its race, you won the prize shown - from $2 to $500 depending on the race. Here's an example.

No comments: