Thursday, April 29, 2021

Last post of the semester

Well, here it is - the last letter she sent me during my first year away from home. In a couple of weeks I'll be home for the summer. 

It was a great year for me, even if my classes were not my first priority! I had a lot of fun, made some good friends, and had my first taste of independence after growing up in an ultra-protective environment. The next year, and especially the year after, will bring some hard questions and real challenges to my life - mostly good, but some not. so. much. How much of that will I reveal to my mother? Probably not very much.

Friday (April 29, 1977)

Dear Robin,

We had an awfully big rain Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning but when it stopped I floated over to First Federal and the bank. I deposited $75.00 for you. It's a while until your check comes again so I thought you might need extra.

I'm sorry if I came on a little strong about how much money you spend. I realize you didn't take any out of savings for this semester so I guess you really have done very well. Anyway, this fall you won't need to buy as many things as you did last time. And we are going to get a raise in July. Every little bit helps.

Yesterday I went with Lisa and Grant to do some running around. We had lunch at Luby's and then we went by to see their house. It's really coming along.

Early in the morning Doug and Betsy and I are going to the lake and stay until Sunday. We are going to try to get things fixed up a little. When school is out we plan to try to get the whole family up there for a weekend. Gary said they would come.

Today is a beautiful day and it's supposed to stay this way for a few days.

I'm waiting for Nora. We are going out to have some Mexican food for lunch.

Love,

Mother

You have about $380.00 left at First Fed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.