Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Some things aren't worth remembering!

 Wednesday April 13,1977

Dear Robin,

I just got your letter and no, I don't want another son-in-law at this particular time. I don't think I'll ever want one (even a kind of rich one) who almost proposes on the first date. It makes me wonder what sort of guy he is. I've always said, though, that if I haven't taught my children something about choosing friends by the time they are your age then it is too late to start.

I washed the car yesterday so of course it's raining today. The yard needs rain but it does look pretty good. My tomato plants are starting to blossom. The sweetheart rose is full of blooms.

Lila and John Monfrey are in a run off for mayor. The election is Saturday, They have been throwing a lot of mud around.

I hope you get things worked out so you can come home when Sharon comes. If it is necessary of course I can always come after you. When I think about it this year seems to be going very fast.

Love,

Mother

Oh, my goodness. How well I remember this blind date a friend in the dorm arranged for me with a guy from her home town. It was the worst date ever! We went to dinner at a steak house. He was rude to the waitress the whole time. We were then supposed to go to see the movie "Rocky" but he thought the line to get in was too long. So we drove around Lubbock for two hours, and he asked me all kinds of questions about my major and what I wanted to do with my life and every time I would answer he would excitedly say, "That's just exactly what I would want my wife to do." I could not get back to my dorm soon enough. I was conveniently "not home" for his next few calls and I guess he got the hint, or our mutual friend told him to back off. She told me later that he was "broken-hearted." Yeah, I'll bet. I just remembered that his car had been stolen at some point and was part of a high-speed chase. When he got it back, it had several bullet holes which he never got fixed - I guess he thought they were cool.

I still have never seen "Rocky."

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness - I remember a few blind dates but NEVER one as bad as yours!!

Quiltbirdie said...

I wonder whatever happened to this guy. I thought of Googling him, but he had a very common first and last name.