Thursday, October 29, 2020

A Halloween care package

Wednesday October 27, 1976

Dear Robin

I thought since I didn't send you a package on your birthday I'd send you a treat for Halloween.

Donna spent the night with me Monday. She had to bring Miss Stacey to the hospital for some tests and then do a lot of errands for her yesterday. I went with her and we ran around all day. She went home last night but probably had to come back and get Miss Stacey today.

I hope you like the cookies.

Love

Mother

Cookies! Homemade Halloween cut-out cookies! What a treat that was. These are the actual cookie cutters she used. If you look for them online they are now referred to as "vintage" Hallmark Halloween cookie cutters. I guess they are. I must be vintage now, too. 


And here's the recipe, which she sent to me in February of 1978. I guess the cookies made a lasting impression. I wonder if I have all the ingredients to make them right now? I think I do!

Sugar Cookies

350*                8 min.             3 Dozen

2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 egg

2 teaspoons vanilla

Sift flour and salt.

Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until fluffy.

Stir in flour to make a stiff dough

Wrap in wax paper and chill 3 hrs.

Roll 1/4 at a time on lightly floured board. Cut as desired, put on ungreased cookie sheet - bake.

This is the recipe I used for the Halloween cookies.

I also remember that I took one of the cookies - a cat, I'm sure - and painted it with clear nail polish so it would "keep" and attached a string to it and hung it in my dorm room. Weirdo!

I'm not sure what she means when she says she didn't send me a package for my birthday. I know she sent me a gift - winter gloves and a scarf. I guess maybe she means she didn't send me any treats, like these cookies. My mouth is watering. If I make them today I'll eat them all by myself. I'd better wait until the weekend when our daughter and fiancĂ© are here so I'll have someone to share them with.

No comments: