Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Texas Open

Monday October 18, 1976

Dear Robin

I've had a busy weekend at the Texas Open. Lorelai and Mitch gave me a ticket and took me out Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was windy and a little cool but yesterday was beautiful. The golf was exciting and had a play off and everything. I made some sandwiches (pimiento and cheese on homemade rye bread) to eat out there and when it was over Mitch got some chicken and slaw at Earl Abel's and we went to their house for supper. They both said to tell you hello for them.

Nora and Lolly were here Friday. Nora met Bobby at noon to pick out a birthday present for her. He bought her a big stereo. I didn't see it but she said it is larger than mine. He is going to be out of town all this week so I may go out and stay a night or two with her.

Betsy has got a teaching job. It is a San Antonio district school and is somewhere near Fort Sam. She thinks she is going to like it and they moved back to town. They got a house in the Glen which is near Windcrest.

I'm mailing your birthday present today - I hope it gets there in time and I hope you like it.

I took your check to First Fed this morning. Now I have to go to the post office.

Love

Mother

This letter's envelope was packed with news clippings about the Texas Open. It must have been a pretty exciting tournament. One of the most interesting clippings was the leaderboard - which shared how much of the $125,000 purse each finisher received. Butch Baird, the winner, got $25,000 for his efforts. Tom Kite finished tied for 9th and earned $850. The last-place finisher took home $219. In the 2019 Valero Texas Open Corey Connors won $1,350,000!!!!! The ninth place finishers won $90,000 and the last place finisher earned a little over $15,000. Wow.

No comments: