Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Chickens, bread, a parakeet and a new plumber in the family

Just the normal family news. I would love some chocolate raisin nut loaf about now.

Sunday (January 16, 1977)

Dear Robin

I haven't had time to write to you any sooner as I've been rather busy.

Thursday morning Bobby brought Lolly and Marky by on his way to work. He picked them up on his way home then brought them back Friday morning and they came back after them Saturday evening about 7:30.

Trina won fifth place with her chickens and fifth place with her quick bread entry. She got a little over $70 for both. She made a chocolate raisin nut loaf. I had a piece of the trial one she made and it was real good. Her five chickens that she entered weighed over 23 pounds and the heaviest ones there weighed only 25. The entries were from first grade through seniors from Bandera and Medina. I think Nora said there were around 300 chickens entered.

John Boy was a big help in taking care of the kids - he took the nipple off Marky's bottle down off the drain twice. He and Jim spend a lot of time at the back door watching the birds at the feeder. You will never guess what kind of bird was there all afternoon one day - a beautiful green parakeet.

Doug called to tell me he passed his test this time. He now has his journeyman's license and should be able to make more money.

Well this old mother's cupboard is very bare so I have to go to the store. Write soon.

Love

Mother

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love these sneak peeks into the past!

Quiltbirdie said...

I do too! It's been a long time since I've read a lot of these letters. But it is like what you said about looking at old pictures - it's bittersweet.