Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Are these cookies sumptuous, savory or satisfying?

My friend Lisa is starting a new "thing" on her blog.  She is going to post recipes and is asking her readers to jump in with a recipe of their own and link to hers.  Recipe lover that I am, I just knew I had to join in as soon as I read her post.

I've been intending to post some recipes, myself.  I want to post some of my mom's recipes as well as my own.  Mom was a great cook and loved to cook.  Her repertoire was based in comfort food, simple family-style favorites. 

She baked as well as she cooked savory food.  My first recipe of Mom's is one her grandchildren loved and looked for every time they came over - Pastel Cookies.  Although we called them Jell-O cookies, because Jell-O is the main ingredient.  Sounds crazy, maybe, and lots of folks look down their nose at Jell-O, but I grew up in the 60's, when Jell-O was a big treat!




I seem to remember that she copied this recipe from a magazine ad.  They really are delicious sugar cookies with a tangy, fruity flavor.  I made some to take to work last year and my co-workers loved them, especially my boss.

Pastel Cookies

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 package (3 oz.) Jello-O gelatin, any flavor (raspberry is really good)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

 Mix flour with baking powder.  Cream butter, gradually add sugar and gelatin, beating well.   Beat in egg and vanilla.  Gradually add flour mixture, mixing well.  Force dough through cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheet (Mom didn't have a cookie press.  She dropped the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet and flattened them with the bottom of a juice glass dipped in more Jell-O.)  Sprinkle with additional gelatin (same flavor).  Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

So there it is.  They aren't really sumptuous, and they're not savory so they must be satisfying!  Check out Lisa's blog post here for more recipes.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to try these!!!