Thursday, December 3, 2020

Tragedy strikes - sad post

Warning: really sad letter ahead. I really thought a long time about whether I would include this letter. I finally decided to include it because loss is part of life for all families. 

This gives me a chance to say that I have changed almost all the names in these letters. Some folks are still with us, some are not, obviously. For those that are with us I didn't want to subject them to any chance of loss of privacy and I just thought it would be easier to change everyone's name rather than contact everyone to ask if they minded if I used their name.

The back story here is that Ray was my first cousin but was quite a bit older than I (as almost everyone in my generation is/was). In fact, I don't remember ever being around him. My older siblings, I'm sure, remember being around him as kids, but by 1976 he was married, and living far away.

Friday (December 3, 1976)

Dear Robin

Just as I started this letter the phone rang and it was Dee calling to tell me that Ray was killed in a car wreck in Kansas some time last night or yesterday. They don't have any details about it yet or any arrangements for the funeral.

I'm so upset I guess I can't write any more just now.

Love

Mother

No comments: