Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

It's the 11th hour (almost literally) and I'm joining the Bloggers' Quilt Festival organized by Amy of Park City Girl. I can't say this is my true favorite quilt, but it has to be one of my very top three. Or five.




The pattern is Cat's Cradle or Tennessee Puzzle, and I originally blogged about it here. After our mother died we found several tops in her house that our grandmother had pieced. Grandmother made quilts to keep her family warm, and all of the quilts that had been quilted had worn out! The tops were in pretty good condition. Mom had always intended to have them quilted, but never did. I had done a small amount of piecing at the time, and a stitch -and-flip-machine- pieced-and-quilted-at-the-same-time quilt but never hand-quilted. My sister took a couple of tops home and I took a couple, this one and a Bow Tie that I love. One day about 10 years later, I just decided to figure this hand-quilting thing out. I first quilted one of my sister's tops - a Sunbonnet Sue. Then I did this one. I was hooked.


Check out the almost 600 quilts in the festival. Amy promises to do another festival in October. I've never been in a "live" quilt show, but I'll bet lots of people who have been have never been in a virtual show!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW what treasures to have just found.....amazing...Really wonderful quilts of both historic and family value....thank you so much for posting...

Zonnah said...

What a wonderful thing to have quilts past down :) Props to you for hand quilting!

Cynthia said...

Wonderful. I admire your handquilting of the quilt. I never feel I have enough time to do it justice. Family heirlooms are treasures. Thank you for sharing.

Kriza said...

it is really beautiful, deserves its place in your top 3 - or 5 :-)
Kristina
priscillacraft.blogspot.com

Quilt Rat said...

Terrific quilt and with such special meaning. Well done! Glad you decided to join the festival.......better late than never :-)

Jocelyn said...

That is a very beautiful quilt. And what a wonderful family keepsake. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! What a treasure :) thanks for sharing!

Cindy's Stitching said...

What a great story. Very nice quilt

Karen said...

Such a beautiful quilt. A prize winner for sure!

stitchinpenny said...

What a treasure and beautiful too.

quiltmom anna said...

What a lovely treasured quilt story. Your grandmother would be thrilled to know that you had continued her legacy- your quilt is truly lovely.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Anna

Mary L. said...

What a great pattern and congrats on perserving and bringing it to life!

Unknown said...

Hi, I stopped by to ask you about the magazine article you read about Mrs. Bush's rug. I remember the article, too, but can't for the life of me remember which ladies magazine it was in. They offered a cross stitch of the rug pattern. What a wonderful suprise to click on your blog and see such a beautiful quilt! Oh, one day! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Elizabeth

Quiltbirdie said...

Elizabeth - I'm thinking it was either Good Housekeeping or Better Homes and Gardens. I'm like you, I remember way too much of my everyday life. Thanks for your blog and for stopping by.

Vicki said...

That is a really cool quilt block design. I love that it is traditional but not very common these days.