Saturday, May 19, 2012

Veggies on the patio


I've never been a big vegetable gardener.  I'm pretty good at flowers.  I love a cutting garden.  Shasta daisies, sweet peas, zinnias are all my favorites.   I love presenting bouquets to people.  My mom always tried to take a bouquet of home-grown flowers anytime she was invited to someone's house for dinner.  She could go out in the yard in the middle of winter and come back in with a gorgeous arrangement.

I decided to try a little vegetable gardening this year.  My only problem is that the only full sun we have in the back yard is on our huge patio.  The rest of the yard is shaded by live oaks.  So I've plunged into container gardening and so far it's working out somewhat.  We picked the first tomato this morning.  It's still a little pink, but I didn't want the mockingbirds to find it.


The beans are still pretty small, as are the green peppers.


Here's a picture of the whole garden.  There are cucumbers, several varieties of tomatoes, green beans squash (they aren't doing too well), green peppers, tomatillos, and of course lots of herbs, which I typically grow year-round.  I've already decided I want to double the amount I plant next year.


No comments: